Tuberc Respir Dis Search

CLOSE


Tuberc Respir Dis > Volume 43(6); 1996 > Article
Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases 1996;43(6):862-870.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.1996.43.6.862    Published online September 4, 2015.
Treatment Results of Multidrug Resistant Tuberculosis in a University Hospital in Korea.
Ho Kee Yum, , Soo Jeon Choi, , Bong Choon Lee, , Dong Soon Kim,
1Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul Paik Hospital, Inje University, Seoul, Korea.
2Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, Ulsan University, Seoul, Korea.
Abstract
Background
Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis(MDR-Tb) has been increased not only in Asia but also in Western society, which may cause public health problems and reduce the efficacy of treatment of tuberculosis. In Western society HIV infection is believed to do a central role in increasing incidence of MDR tuberculosis, but MDR-Tb in Korea may be somewhat different about clinical features, underlying disorders, and prognosis. Goble et al reported that overall treatment failure rate in MDR-Tb including resistance to isoniazid(INH) and rifampin(RFP) was 44%. The aim of this study is to find the treatment result in Korea and the factors determining the prognosis. Methods: A retrospective study of pulmonary tuberculosis cultured M. tuberculosis from sputum or bronchial washing fluid between 1986 through 1992 was conducted in the Seoul Paik Hospital, Inje University. We reviewed clinical courses of 141 patients, who had a tuberculosis with resistance to 2 or more drugs including isoniazid(INH) and rifampin(RFP). One hundred and 4 patients of 141 patients had completed treatment and followed up for more than one year. Results: Of 104 (mean age 43.6+/-16.7, M: F=63: 41) patients with sufficient follow-up data, 73(84.6%) patients responded which is defined as negative sputum cultures for at least 3 consecutive months. Seven patients(6.7%) had a failure in negative conversion and 9(8.7%) of the patients who initially responded relapsed. Overall treatment failure rate was 15.4%. Patients who were treated for less than 12 months had a higher relapse rate(12.3%) than 18 months(4.9%). And there was a statistically significant correlation between the relapse rate and the number of drugs to which isolates wera resistant(p<0.05). Conclusion: The treatment failure rate of MDR-Tb in Korea was lower than previous studies in western country and the major determining factor of prognosis was the number of resistant drugs to M. tuberculosis at drug sensitivity test. For reducing the relapse rate, we recommend more than 12 months of treatment for MDR tuberculosis.
Key Words: Tuberculosis, multi-drug, resistant


ABOUT
ARTICLE & TOPICS
Article category

Browse all articles >

Topics

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
FOR CONTRIBUTORS
Editorial Office
101-605, 58, Banpo-daero, Seocho-gu (Seocho-dong, Seocho Art-Xi), Seoul 06652, Korea
Tel: +82-2-575-3825, +82-2-576-5347    Fax: +82-2-572-6683    E-mail: katrdsubmit@lungkorea.org                

Copyright © 2021 by The Korean Academy of Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. All rights reserved.

Developed in M2community

Close layer
prev next